Monday, June 25, 2007

Maybe I like this place

You know, I might really like it here. It's pretty damn cool. Day one was fun.

Got up, took a shower, went to breakfast. Food, unfortunately is all the way across campus and is the farthest thing we have to walk to. And they put spicy stuff in their potatoes. WTF. I was very annoyed. The rest of the food is pretty good. I'm still alive.

We have our first class at 9:30, which sure as hell beats zero hour. They're in a building across the street that looks sort of like an obese cottage. Very cute, just large. We go in, past stairs, to the left into our lecture hall. Everyone sits in a circle in a very strange chairs. My teachers are... really, really, really awesome. I'm not awake enough to come up with more interesting adjectives, but they're really cool. They're very laid back and are just as interested in listening to us as talking. We had seminar for an hour where we discussed last nights reading and basically said... whatever we wanted. We're reading really cool stuff. Then we had workshop with writing prompts. Oh yeah, there are the most brilliant window seats in the lecture hall, they're about two feet deep, made out of marble-y looking stuff. I saw a chipmunk out the window. It looked like a normal chipmunk just had its tail straight up in the air like it was constantly being electrocuted. The prompts, like everything else so far, are very open ended, but I liked them. After we discussed what wrote and gave constructive-ish criticism.

Then lunch. More food. Some questionable. Then... Topic conferences, that's right. I really liked this. We have two profs, right, we signed up in the morning to meet with one. I met with D, who's very cool and easy to talk to. And we just talked ideas for twenty minutes. We have a creative piece due on Wednesday and we talked that around. It was really helpful and I came out feeling a lot more sure about what I was going to do.

We did our reading and wrote the paper for tomorrow in the afternoon, had a tour of the computer lab and did a group journal exercise. The sunsets here are gorgeous and I saw a good bench to watch from I just didn't get a chance to get down there.

Tomorrow: Go to library, buy postcards (not at the library)

6 comments:

ExDaddy said...

Spicy stuff on potatoes sounds like a good way to wake up in the morning. So does the extra sleep time. Where does water come from at this place?

Unknown said...

Yay that you're still alive! It sounds like a great place. Good luck with the questionable food.

Lena said...

Father: I have no idea. I'm very wary of it and probably not drinking enough.

Saber: yes, the food is definitely questionable.

Lauren said...

You should add "buy Inner Circle Of Hate t-shirt" to your list.

Parker T. said...

seems the first day has gone as planned, now Lena, execute Plan Q!

By the way I will actually start my blog today.

Lena said...

Lo-lo: I will. It will be sweet.

Parker: No you're not. And what the fuck is plan Q? Oh hey, can you tell Jeff I'm doing this? I'm not sure I told him.